Can't add files to Engine DJ, Database keeps corrupting?

Having an issue setting up my library on a new SD for a Prime Go.

Have a 1TB SanDisk 1TB Ultra SD which I want to use indefinitely in my PrimeGo as a ‘permanent’ library.

I’ve got 700gb of music on that SD, all sorted individually in their artist/album folders which are then filed under folders per genre (ie. hiphop, house, electronic, funk&soul, world, pop, rock, remixes, disco, acapellas, misc) with smallest genre folder 4gb and largest 212gb.

I open Engine DJ, create a playlist eg. House, then drag the house folder from my SD into that playlist… it add’s those tracks to Engine & the playlist then analyses - timing dependant on amount of tracks. Then continue for every genre etc

I’ve done this above process for my other Prime products - 1TB SSD installed in my SC6000’s was done the same way, imported and work fine, so was the same for an older Prime2.

Whats happening here tho… is somewhere along the import/analyse process a message will pop-up saying Engine Library “on SD card” corrupt, which then will deem ALL the other stuff already imported & analyzed useless as its unreadable. There’s also NO backup to external drive librarys (ie. the SD) as Engine only back’s up the main one on Mac.

I’ve tried formatting SD, then re-copying ALL files and starting fresh – no change Ive tried deleting Engine Librarys from Mac & SD and retrying – no change

Is there a way to successfully import? Just upgraded to 3.2.0. Is this a known issue? Should i downgraded. Literally been trying todo this since last Thursday. This was the 3rd attempt and had my LAST folder importing last night… but awoke today to the corrupt message

thanks

Did you try cloning the 6000 SATA-ssd to the prime go SD. It’s the same library right?

Carbon copy cloner or FreeFileSync

IMO it doesn’t matter how your music is organized on your source drive. When exporting to the destination drive (card) you should let Engine DJ handle the library.

You appear to have copied the exact same file/folder structure you use on your computer, on to the SD card. I don’t understand why. When using a database system like the Prime series (or even DJ software in general) there’s no need to organize manually. The database allows for searching/finding via the tagging.

On my PC my files are stored in alphabetical folders (from back when I first went digital) and more recently in ‘year’ folders. That’s it. Nothing more complex, and I can find anything instantly via my DJ sofware.

However, when I started using the Prime 4, I imported my library then just let Engine DJ copy everything over, using its own folder structure. Never had a database corruption issue.

1 Like

thanks for suggestion… nah haven’t tried that. was hoping this way would work as the SSD in the 6000 hasnt been updated w/ new music for months. downgraded to Engine desktop to 3.1.1 and giving it one last try. If corrupt again will try the clone.

i’ve been doing it like this for years. source drive organized… and import from that structure as is… then make ‘playlists’ in the software. rekordbox, serato all handle this method fine without issues. love my denon gear but man do i hate engine, it really 5ucks. thanks for suggestion tho… may have to let engine handle it as last case scenario bc the thought of formatting SD and re-copying 700gb again is daunting

I think what PK is trying to say, and what I tend to agree with, is for you to drag all those genre folders into genre playlists in the Engine ‘desktop’ app, if you drag the master folder it should add all the enclosing Artist folders into it.

Once you’ve organised all your music in the desktop app take your newly formatted SD card and use the sync manager function to copy all that data over to the SD card, in a format that is friendly to the Engine ecosystem.

All I’ll say from reading threads on here the past couple of years, every single time this corrupt drive or library issues subject rears it’s head, it’s down to someone doing some leftfield workflow for organising their music that bypasses the recommended method provided by InMusic.

Just to note, Serato is non-comparable because you aren’t exporting music to an external drive, it’s a piece of computer DJ software. Same applies for Rekordbox too, unless you are using Rekordbox as a library management tool for external devices, in which case they recommend following exactly the same process as InMusic do by having the computer app as a baseline for organisation and sync manager to export to drives.

One last thing, I’m not sure an SD card is the best storage type for such a large collection.

1 Like

yeh thanks guys, totally understand & valid points… as mentioned just been doing it like this (archaic way) forever and didn’t fancy having to recopy all files onto SD again. may have to tho.

also you’re also prolly right - an SD maybe isn’t the best thing for a large collection - but wanted it for my prime go for the ultimate portable setup. cheers

Could you maybe split it half and half between an SD and a USB? I recently bought a tiny USB stick for my car so it didnt stick out of the dashboard too much, that could be an option?

Not sure what computer you have but a good USB-C to SD adapter, or preferably the built in SD slot would allow the sync to run quickly. I used to leave them overnight when I was using RB because it was so slow, obviously the built in SSDs on the Prime units are a different world.

yeh good idea, i have a small sandisk one laying around. if all fails, will just resort to the SD holding managed playlists only, that’d have to suffice (actually trialling Lexicon rn to manage/sync cross platform playlists, so maybe time to give it all an overhaul now who knows shrug) thanks for tips man

1 Like

thanks for all the tips guys… will def look into changing my workflow but FWIW, i downgraded Engine desktop to 3.1.1 and was able to import & analyse the whole SD without an issues.

So i can try and reproduce it on 3.2.0, just confirm this is what I need to do.

Load some folders onto a blank SD card, preferably with some sub folders inside a master one, then try to analyse them on the device itself?

I can give it a whirl this week to see what happens.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.